Sunday, February 10, 2013

Blackout Bowl (getting started)

Most of you probably know about the big win I received!  It was the morning of January 3rd and my cell phone rang.  I answered and it was a woman telling me I won a trip to the Super Bowl down in New Orleans!  To think I'd actually be going to the biggest game of the NFL season, and one of the biggest worldwide sporting events, was something that I never thought would happen to me!  I called Wanda to tell her I had an early birthday present for her (her birthday was three days later) and I think she was even more excited than I was!  The trip was for two, so the girls couldn't go (even though they could care less about football anyways!)  Fortunately, our friend Jennifer said she could watch them during the time we were away!
So Wanda gets everything together and we're ready to head out Thursday, January 31st!  Of course, our cat Zippy did not want us to go!


 It was around 17 degrees when we left around 4 in the morning to be sure we get to the airport in plenty of time!  I decided to go ahead and start the van to get it warmed up.  We come out a few minutes to find the van not running!  Wanda gets in and it doesn't start right off.  Now what do we do at this time of the morning? She works with it and finally gets it started (but it still has a "Battery Saver Mode" message).  After we got back, it started fine.  We're thinking it's something with the USB charger we have plugged into the car to charge our phones, so we're keeping it unplugged when we shutdown the van for the night.
We head to the airport with a little bit of snow falling, taking Interstate 70.  Wanda doesn't like to take 70 typically, since there always seems to be more accidents, and we usually take Highway 40 over to Indy.  Little did we know that just hours later would be a massive pileup on 70 because of slick conditions that formed later!  We made it to the airport fine, got our bags checked in and boarding passes printed. Later, our first plane heading to Kansas City, is getting ready to load:
Short flight, but we had a bit of a layover.  I explored the airport and Wanda told me she saw Albert Pujols while I was away (she didn't get a chance to snap a picture)!  The Kansas City airport is laid out a bit weird.  All of the good restaurants were outside of security!  These days, it's a bit of a bother to leave Security and come back in just for a meal!  We decided to have a Quiznos sub and some Lays chips for our lunch.  I forgot how much I miss Quiznos since they've left Terre Haute!  Then our next plane for New Orleans came, and we were ready for the next part of the adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment